Thursday, June 25, 2015

In the garden...

 Things are really happening out here right now. I can hide in the corn rows. Picking green beans, squash, kale, lettuce, bell and banana peppers and hot peppers.





The Japanese beetles are horrible this year, plus the June bugs are everywhere. But there are green beans growing! I picked a little mess the other day for my mom. I'll pick more tonight for the market.




These are the Pink Eye crowder peas, flowering.





Peas on left, with sunflowers down the middle, and green beans on the right.




My zinnia bed. My favorite flowers.







Some ripe red tomatoes, peeking through the leaves! I've been getting a few every day now. They are SO good and juicy. I will sure miss my bacon and tomato sandwiches on sourdough bread.




Some green bell peppers, also peeking through their leaves. I picked one the other day and added it to my frittata. I also have red and yellow peppers.



Sweet banana peppers.




These are the red hot Cow peppers. My husband loves hot peppers. I also have jalapeno peppers.




The past several years, I have not had any luck growing cabbages. I got 6 just to try this year. The cabbage moths love them. And the kale too. I see little tiny heads, but I just don't know.



It's getting too hot for the squash and zucchini now. I actually got quite a lot of them. I've been making zucchini bread for the market and they sell really good.




It sounds like a small bee city in the squash flowers. They are buzzing with bee activity!




My old garden furniture. I sit down there sometimes. Then see all kinds of things I need to be doing and get right back up. I did sit the other night for about 15 minutes while the sprinkler was on.




The okra and cucumber bed. It really needs weeded and mulched. Next week for a few days, my niece is bringing her 10 year old son, who wants to stay a few days and help me out here in the garden. We will be working here, weeding. I also have a lot of not good wool that we'll use to mulch the cucumbers with.




Coming in from the garden this morning, this frog scared me!




In between the corn rows. I can hide out there now! It's all got tassels now too. Silver Queen corn. Yum!

I can't wait for the honey bees to find this corn. I remember years ago, when I grew corn. I'd hear bees buzzing while I picked beans. It was the coolest sound ever. Then, when they started growing the Monsanto corn across the road, I couldn't grow corn here. So the bees went away. But they grew wheat or something across the road this year. That's why I think my corn's done so well.





I was going to say that I always leave weeds for the bugs to have. The Japanese beetles will eat these weeds before they eat the veggies or flowers. So I leave a lot for them. The weeds are good for something!




Some of the sunflowers this morning, reaching their faces toward the sun.




And more frogs. This is my little frog pond. When I walk by, I hear lots of plopping. Can you see some frogs?




This is some of the wild flowers I've let go in the garden. There are probably 20 different varieties right here alone.




And this is what I started doing a few nights ago. Right in front of the bee hive. I had let the clover and other things grow here for the bees. Then mowed it all down a few days ago. I started tilling, but it's hard as a rock. We're supposed to be getting some rain the next few days, so i hope it'll soften it up. But next week, while Ian is here, we will work on this too. We'll add some good chicken manure compost and other good soil to it. Then plant more green beans. Then in the fall, more squash and zucchini will go here.

Yesterday, it poured in Ft. Oglethorpe and Flintstone, but not a drop out here. I mean it was fierce too. Big ole black clouds and wind like crazy. I was going out of Aldi with my buggy and I had a hard time walking it to the car. But they all needed the rain too. We should get some Friday and Saturday, then it's supposed to cool off. It's been high 90's for a few weeks now.

So what's happening in your gardens these days? Any canning going on yet? I will be canning tomatoes soon.

2 comments:

Betty Ann said...

Your garden is wonderful! Kristin and I are pretty pleased with ours so far. Except for the squash. We never get any. Don't know why we keep trying. The vine borers kill the plants every year. Kristin even wrapped all the stems in aluminum foil this year as a mechanical barrier. Didn't work. Chilled cucumber soup for dinner tonight with Kristin's cultured goat buttermilk and lots of dill!

Kris said...

Oh that sounds good right now. I have dill laying on the ground. Cucumbers won't be coming on for a while yet. This is the first year in many that I've had squash. And I keep trying too! Same with the cabbage.