Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A quilt in progress, a cat and some eggs

Just a few things to start off this new year.

I am about half way through sewing the pieces together for the blue jean quilt. My right middle finger is pretty sore from the needle jabbing through my skin. I have a bandaide on it so I can still sew. A little awkward, but it helps. I can't sew with a thimble at all. I can't wait to see this all done.


I love this picture. This is Sybil. I've had her 7 years now. Got her and her brother from a friend when she was a kitten. She is pretty deaf. And the sweetest cat I have. I just thought this was so pretty of her with the bird house and the cement bird. I don't think she has ever hurt another creature.







 Look at the difference in these 2 eggs. I was at the feed store the other day and there was a guy with several dozen eggs he was selling. I bought a dozen. I have gotten eggs from them years ago and have seen their coops. They are cooped, which I forgot. I was just happy to see eggs from local chickens. And for $2.00. So this morning I fixed eggs and put one of theirs and one from my hens. Big difference. That's mine on the left. Theirs is at least darker than the store bought "free-range organic" eggs I have bought for $5 a dozen. But my 4 hens are all laying now so I get at least 3 eggs a day. Sometimes 4.


I took Adabelle home yesterday. And I got John Henry back today. He's out in the back yard with the 2 new does. Not much going on right now. But he sure does still stink!! So maybe there is still hope for a successful breeding.

It's been raining since last night. We are sopping wet. I mean everything is under water. We always get ponds when it rains like this. I used to have ducks and they would love to get to swim in the pond up front. They were the only animals that liked the rain around here.

Have a great first week of this new year y'all!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Can't beat free range eggs! Yours is beautiful. We ate the silkie eggs tonight and I've never seen such orange yolks!

Glad the quilt is coming along. Sybil looks like the white version of our Marauder. I'm such a cat person.

Buddy has this whole place stinking to high heaven, so I feel your pain there.

Happy New Year! I want to go to bed except, I have venison stock I need to see to.

Kris said...

I sure did want a deer. I had my name in at the butcher but I guess everyone wanted to keep theirs this year. I'm going tomorrow to egt dog bones and will ask again.

I bet Silkie eggs are as small as Guinea eggs. I always kept all my Guinea eggs and sold the big eggs. It was so hard to crack those things, but so good.