Monday, January 14, 2013

Blahs

It is nothing but WET outside. There is water everywhere out there. I feel so bad for my animals. The goats all have a dry barn and shelter. But the sheep only have an open shelter. It's big enough for them all and they are sheep with nice wool coats on. But the ground is SO wet and muddy. I need to make some wooden platforms for the goats and sheep to just stand on that's not in mud. I am taking old hay and throwing down on paths but it's still just WET.

I know I should not be complaining about all this wonderful water that we'll need this summer. But right now, it's not doing a bit of good. It's depressing to look out the windows and see lakes and ponds and streams where there is not supposed to be those things. I want to just go hibernate like the bears. They have the right idea.

It did get cold last night though. After a week of highs in the 60's and 70's here and no heat on, it's about 48 now. My hubby had to build a fire in the wood stove again. It took awhile to get it going, but he's a good fire building man. Now to get daughter to get some more wood in. She's good at that.

And I was going to try to get pictures of the finished quilt, but computer wants to go all wonky on me again. But it is finished and is on the way to my husband's truck with him. He just left. I told him that nice warm very heavy blue jean quilt might just save his life one day. if he's ever lost out in the middle of no where way up in Montana in a blizzard, stuck in his truck with no fuel for heat, that quilt will keep him warm. I so hope that never happens. Anyway, glad it's done and my poor fingers can take a break. I'll post pictures soon I hope.

So how is the weather in your neck of the woods this week so far? I so want summer right now.

6 comments:

SweetLand Farm said...

Hey Kris! It's me, I've just had to move my blog. Just a little different name for the blog.
thisweetlandfarm.blogspot.com
I've found you again and am following you!

Kris said...

I have been to your new blog. I commented on it today I think, about that scrumptious yummy looking trifle. You are a bad woman, you! I'm glad you found me again.

Kristin said...

I can't wait to see pictures of the quilt. We had a record high of 78 degrees today. The old record was 74. And I loved EVERY MINUTE of it!

The sun broke through some and we finally got to pick up the Alpine does. It was an all-around good day.

Kristin said...

PS I like a good fire-building man :)

Kris said...

Kristin, I think I would love a 74 degree day right now. And you had sun!? At this point, I can't remember what the sun looks like. It's been raining for days and days. It's STILL raining right now. I went out to feed my poor animals earlier and brought my camera. I did some videos and I'll try to get them posted here. I have streams and lakes and ponds all over. I didn't get to milk tonight because there is a serious creek between the goat barn and the milk room. SO depressing.

I hope you have pictures of your new does. I love Alpines. Are they bred too?

Kristin said...

I'd love to see the videos. It's amazing that it gets so soggy here in the winter but come July, we'll be begging for rain.

I put a couple pictures of the new goaty girls on the blog. I really don't know much about Alpines, except they have ears. Something my Lamancha queen made Scilla painfully aware of this afternoon when she grabbed an ear through the fence and refused to let go.