Saturday, March 30, 2013

2 classes today

This was a busy day for me. But I have learned SO much.


This morning was a class on native pollinators. Since I'll be getting a hive of honey bees in a few weeks, I need to learn about them. And what they need to keep them here. And healthy and full! We have a farm in Rossville, Ga. called Crabtree Farm. It's been there for 15 years this year. They are basically a teaching farm. Lots of apprentices and volunteers. It's a great place. They are breaking ground in a few weeks on an education building to be opened in September.

I'll have to absorb all the things David Reed spoke about. He has several hives here on this farm. I went out after the class and just stared at the hives. Bees were buzzing all around them. These are in a little field of henbit, which I need to plant at my place. I have some, but not like this.



If you look close, you can see the bees on the hives. They were all over today. I just love bees.





Then this afternoon, a class on fermentation. We all got to get our hands in the veggies and make some for ourselves. I have already made plenty of different fermented foods for us. But learned a few techniques to make things faster. And I got some water kefir grains and some Piima culture!! I am so excited about this. I have been wanting some water kefir grains. I got to taste some that Ann Keener brought. It was SO good and refreshing and light and summery. I have already got mine started.  Also got the Piima started too. Not too sure about how to do this though. Need to read up more about it. It's like yogurt, from what I understand. A little like kefir too.


This is one of the teachers, with his hands in the cabbage and beet kraut. I love this stuff. I made mine with just cabbage and beets. I am excited about getting some more fermented veggies back on the counters! It just makes me feel good, seeing all those jars of fermented goodness on my kitchen counters. And it's SO good.

Not to get my leg of lamb marinating in some good olive oil, garlic and fresh rosemary for tomorrow's Easter dinner.

No comments: