Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My mother and her honey bees


Mom told me she had seen honey bees on her hummingbird feeder. So while I was there Sat. I filled it up. It's already half empty today. These bees are hungry. Mom even fixed some sugar water in a small bird bath. They don't drink from that. They like this feeder.






I wonder if these are wild bees or if there is a hive somewhere in someone's yard near her. I'd love to find them in a tree somewhere. There's lots of hollow limbs on some of the oaks around my mom's place.





I love honey bees. I miss mine and can't wait for spring now so I can get more. I got really close to these bees and they were great. Love them.


6 comments:

Betty Ann said...

Oh how we miss the honey bees! I keep two hummingbird feeders on my deck and carport and these last two weeks have been crazy with constant bird activity from the migrating hummers. I have to refill them every few days. Sure wish (wistfully) that honey bees would use them. All mine attract are yellow jackets!

Kris said...

We haven't seen yellow jackets or ants on this feeder since the honey bees came. Did ya'll lose all your bees too?

Betty Ann said...

Yes. Kristin's hive was wiped out the week after yours

Kris said...

I'm so sorry. Did they get the moths too?

Kristin said...

Yes, nasty things. I'm glad someone around you has bees. We never see honey bees here anymore.

Kris said...

That's so sad. I hope you'll get more. I am.