Monday, February 4, 2013

Overwhelmed

Do you ever just want to throw your hands up in the air and run as far away as you possibly can? Sometimes I do. I just want to give up. Sell all my animals and everything else. Go start a new life on an island out in the middle of nowhere.

One time not too long ago, I almost did this. I was very frustrated with my whole life. I called a friend and asked her if she wanted my animals or knew someone who would buy them all. She got on the phone and called people and she had every one of my animals sold in a just a few hours. Well, by then, I was so over it. I just cried and cried. There's NO way I could sell any of my sheep or goats. Everything else, yeah. Like chickens or cats. Well, I'd give cats away. I'd have to take Bubba and Stella anywhere I went. And the sheep and goats too.

So I learned my lesson that time. And even my friend told me to wait a good 12 hours when this happens again. Because a lot can happen in 12 hours.

But right now, I am just about sick of sick goats. I have 3 does who have just had kids. All 3 are having problems. Trudy, the newest doe, who I bought already bred, has got the hardest udder ever. She has good milk apparently because I have only had to bottle feed the kids once or twice. And I have been giving her shots and drenches and this and that. Her udder was feeling a little softer yesterday. Then this morning, hard as a rock again. And I got her for a milk goat. HA!

Then yesterday, both Abby and Penelope had their kids at the same time in the same stall. First time for that. SO Abby, who will be 11 in a few days, has been eating like a pig and bloating. I have been drenching her, giving her shots, doing all I can for her. Then she kidded and now she's looking depressed. My friend I call for help said it sounds like ketosis. Good grief! Her kids are doing great and she has tons of milk. She's a great mother. So back to giving her stuff all day.

Then Penelope. Again, good grief! She won't eat now. I brought her to the milk room and milked her out because her teats were rather big and it was hard for her kids to get their mouths around them. I got a quart. SO easy to milk too for a first freshener. But she too looks depressed. I guess maybe a little stunned? I did put her in another stall.

So, when it rains, it pours. Always something around here. Just need to vent I guess. Seems like it's all happening at once right now. My car's transmission is acting up. The wood heater gets all clogged with creosote. Can't use it now. We're broke as usual. And it's so COLD. And MUDDY. and just plain ole nasty outside. And I can't seem to fix my electric fence. Spent half the day yesterday out there doing repairs on the whole fence and looked out there and all the goats were back out in the field. Darn goats.

I'll be fine. I know I am not the only one who's felt like this. Just one of those days.

6 comments:

Sandra said...

We have had times like that too.
We had some ewes get into some grain when they were pregnant and they all go sick. It was difficult.
We had goat problems at one time too with some Boer goats we bought. It was a nightmare. We did end up culling them all out. We bought someone elses problems. We did learn a lot during that time.

It can drain you when you are out in the barn more than you are in the house and the weather doesn't help.

I hope that it gets better for you soon!!

Kristin said...

I am so sorry for all your trouble. It does get overwhemling at times. I don't know how you manage it all!

And all those silly goats kidded at once on you. It'd be a funny farm around there without all the health issues.

Hang in there. I am sending prayers up for you.

Kris said...

Thank you both. It just more frustrating. My friend came over today to see why the electric fence wasn't working after all I did to it. We found several reasons why. So got them all fixed and let the goats back out and the bad devil babies went right under and out to the field. Then Zeeboo and Zarah went out right after them. But Trudy touched the middle wire and it shocked her. And Sandy wouldn't go near it. So I have them all back out in the back yard. Except for Zarah. Stinkin' goat.

Tombstone Livestock said...

Hope things improve, having issues during this time of year with kidding on top of everything else doesn't help. Today was t-shirt weather here in CA and it was nice to be outside, my 2 baby goats are doing fine running around and playing, 2 more does due, but both of them are older does that don't usually have problems. Take care, spring is on it's way.

Kris said...

I am SO looking forward to spring and summer right now! Things are looking better today. I am so glad your kids are doing so good. And I hope your other 2 does have healthy kids and a safe delivery soon.

katiegirl said...

I definitely get so frustrated!! Usually it's with the goats. The sheep are angels compared to them. They get so witchy towards the sheep sometimes, and lately they've been eating wool off the sheep! My poor ewe, Darla, is missing a good bit of wool. I feel like it'd be so much easier to just sell the goats and have sheep, but I do like the goats too. Luckily things have settled down for a bit...but I definitely have those days!!