Monday, September 3, 2012

Around the farm this morning.


We got some much needed rain last night. My squash was all wilted and puny. I mulched with some old hay yesterday. The rain really brought them all back to life again. They are full of flowers and the bees are busy pollinating them. I am so glad to see bees at work doing what they were created to do.




There is a bumble bee deep down in the flower to the right. They were buzzing all over the garden this morning! I see little baby squash all over now. Can't wait to actually get some to cook. The seeds I had gotten from the little feed store just were not goo seeds. I only got maybe one or two every few weeks. The zucchini too. Not but a few of those. Had to get zucchini from other people just to make bread. So I got new seeds and started over and these are good.




To the left is the cucumbers, then collard greens, turnip greens, kale and Blue Lake beans. There are little tiny cucumbers already!




Here are some pretty green bean flowers. I just love the flowers these plants make. In a few weeks I'll be picking beans again!



 Here is just some of the zucchini plants. I planted more at the end of this row and I saw a few yesterday. With this rain, they will be popping up soon. These are really pretty plants this time. I think I will not plant squash and zucchini til August from now on.



 I have had really good luck with the bell peppers. I planted red, yellow, green, orange and purple this year. As well as 4 varieties of hot and sweet banana peppers. I didn't sell all of them so they went in the freezer or in jars.


I have not planted radishes in several years. I don't like them. Husband does but he's not here much to eat them. And they have to be picked right when they are ready. So I had gotten several packs of different varieties from a friend and mixed them all up and threw them in the ground. They came up pretty quick! I hope to try some roasted with other root veggies. Sounds good that way.
 This is one of the really old apple trees in the yard. I don't know why the people who had this place before us planted apple trees right in the yard. So aggravating to have to go under them to mow. I always get a branch in my hair. But the apples are SO good! I have one that is the early June transparent apple. A Granny Smith and this is a Yates. My very favorite apple is the Yates. It's crunchy and juicy and so good. Some friend of mine have an apple press to make cider and we get together every October and make cider.



The field peas. They are growing pretty good with all the weeds and cucumbers that grew back again. I love field peas. And they are so easy to grow and pick.





These are the 1st turnip greens I planted around the first of Aug. Too thick, but they are doing great. Can't wait for a big ole pot of greens and cornbread soon!




And the carrots in the cold frame. The ones I planted a few weeks ago in the garden are just barely coming up. I hope they grow now after the rain.




The day lillies have decided to show off again. I love them. They are so pretty and such happy flowers. A friend from Oregon sent these to me a few years ago.




And some weeds. I think weeds are beautiful and most actually serve a purpose. I leave a lot of weeds in some of the rows because the bugs will eat them and not the ones I want.









Stella says hello and good morning. She's such a sweet dog. But sure is starting to dig some of the biggest holes all over the yard. Then she does this. What a stinker.









SO everything looks good again. I am so thankful for good rain.

4 comments:

Teri said...

Kris,
Your garden looks great! My squash has perked up with all the much needed rain we received this weekend ...
I hope you didn't get upset with my comments on MJF about your rant. I can see by ALL your blog post that you do work hard, and that this is your job.
It just sounded like you we setting yourself up for failure at the other farmers market. I do hope you do well in TN.
Good luck!
Teri

Kris said...

Teri, I sent you an email. It's looking better for me! And I thank you for all you said. You made me think. Thanks! I hope your garden does well now. I am probably just going to have a fall garden from now on! Much nicer than spring for sure. And you should see all the flowers now on the squash!!

SweetLand Farm said...

Wow! Everything looks so good! I have never planted a second garden or what you call a fall garden. I don't think our season is long enough and I don't have green houses to start things in. What do you do with it all? Do you freeze, can????

Kris said...

I sell produce at the farmer's market. And to friends. Also can and freeze some. I just planted 5 varieties of lettuce today.

You've been busy too.