Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tuesday morning

 This child! We have had Kansas since Sunday. School was out yesterday and again today. And her mom has been sick. And has to work. This child will NOT be quiet! Ever. She is constantly talking or singing or mumbling. Her mouth is always moving. But she's the sweetest child. She loves everyone. And we love her. But man, is this child messy! Seems like everywhere she's been, there is a pile of something.





It was about 4 degrees last night. The thermostat said 66 all night. This morning, the central heater was on. The woos stove can't get the house up to 92 like it did that one time when it's so cold. I will not complain again about that! But it's finally warmed up to 71 now. And the wood stove is FULL of wood and going strong.




This is what we have for breakfast when it's freezing outside. Biscuits, gravy, fried potatoes with onions and eggs. Now that'll fill ya up and get ya going on a morning like this.




Last night, we had gone over to the little house-barn to turn on some heat so the pipes over there won't freeze. This morning it was nice and warn inside the house. But when I went to feed my poor cats, Sybil wouldn't even jump up to her bowl. She's sick. Poor kitty. I had gotten the cay room all nice for all the cats with boxes with blankets and there are 2 kid's chairs with fabric seats they lay in. I thought they's be fine in there. They've always been outside cats. I didn't think a thing about them not being ok. I wish I had put them all over next door for the night. Well, they are all over there now. With food and water and they are all warm. They have hay bales galore to lay on. That's where they will all stay for a few days, till it warms back up. And it's supposed to get to around 50 or so after tomorrow. Nearly 60 for Saturday. I sure am looking forward to that.

I have been filling up water buckets for days now. As soon as I put water in the buckets, it starts getting ice in them. So I am constantly putting more water in them all day. I am even putting warm water and sunflower seeds out for the birds. Apparently, birds around here don't care for sunflower seeds too much. Or maybe they're just afraid of all the cats? They sure are twittering out there today.

How about y'all. What is your favorite things to eat when it's so cold? How do you stay warm when you're outside doing chores? My mom gave me a really warm hat and I am usually sweating by the time I'm done out there. It's really warm.

4 comments:

Iris Graham said...

I agree that Kansas is very sweet and loving. She's sensitive to others' feelings, lets you know she loves you, prays for others when she's aware of a need. I'm proud to be her Great Grandma. Now about food in cold winter: Soup, soup & more soup! Hope the cats are o.k. today. Love ya'll!

Betty Ann said...

Venison chili!

Triple K Farm said...

To stay warm I out on a pair of my husbands flannel lined Carhartts over my pants & tuck my sweatshirt right in! I also wear a winter hat with my sweatshirt hood pulled up on top. I wear VT Darn tough socks & my muck boots. Typically, only my hands get cold, I just can't find warm enough gloves and still be able to work! We've had some really cold weather -16!

Kris said...

Today was just a thermal shirt. It's rainy out but not too bad cold wise.
A friend just brought us some deer burger and pork. Yum! Might be some soup with the burger coming up soon.