Sunday, April 16, 2017

1 down, 7 to go...

Buttercup was back in the maternity ward this morning. About 1 this afternoon, I heard a loud baaaaing, so ran to check the sheep. It was her, in labor. The little white lamb came first. Once her head came out, she slid on out.  But it was rough for a little while. She's adorable!

I thought she might just have the one lamb, but about 45 minutes later, she acted like she was choking and out popped another one. The little black lamb that's standing was 2nd.

Then about 20 minutes later, I saw another water bubble. I was hoping it was afterbirth, but no, here came another lamb!



2 sweet little black lambs and a white with black spots. I think they are all ewe lambs too. And this is Buttercup's first babies!! She even let me get her teats clear for nursing and knock off some of the hay hanging under her belly. She was so good. I did go ahead and give the 2 black lambs some colostrum in a bottle, because the last one was pretty weak. But when I went back out later to give them another bottle, both black lambs were up and nursing!! I am SO proud of Buttercup!

I told the other sheep that they need to spread the lambs out to about every 4 days or so. I hope they listen to me. If this is any indication of lambing, then we could end up with a whole lotta lambs If they all have 3 lambs, that's 24 flippin' lambs! I hope the rest are ram lambs.



2 comments: