Thursday, April 27, 2017

Annabelle.

had a little litter of lambs this morning. 4 of them. 3 ewes and a ram. That brought the number of lambs to 18 so far. 3 have died. And I have 1 ewe left to lamb, Campbelle.

I woke up really early this morning with thunder, lightening and very heavy rain going on outside. I lay there in bed worrying about all the sheep, if they had their lambs inside. I finally got up at 6 and went out to check on them.

Annabelle was out in the front pasture. I went to look at her, and sure enough, there was a water bubble. She would not go in, so I left her. I couldn't get close to her. I went to get towels and when I came back out, there was a head out. She would not let me near her to help. So I left her.

When I came back out, there were 3 lambs laying on the wet grass, all alive. I thought for sure that first one was dead, the way it hung there for so long.

So I picked all 3 up and got her to follow me to a stall. She was not happy about it, but she went inside. I didn't want to bother her too much because she was a bit crazy. So I left her again.

When I came back out to check on the lambs, there was another one laying there! Geeze already!

So anyway, she was not paying much attention to the last 3 lambs. So I dried them off as much as I could. I went in and got a bottle of colostrum and fed the 3 smallest lambs. They drank it all. Then I called my friend Carrie and asked her if she wanted 3 lambs for her 3 sweet kids. They came a few hours later, with towels and bottles. Those little lambs will be loved and spoiled before the day is over. Annabelle never even looked at them.

So she has the biggest ewe lamb with her. She's doing great. Annabelle is Buttercup's mother. Buttercup had triplet ewe lambs on Easter Sunday. So between these 2 ewes, they had 7 live lambs, 6 ewes and a ram!

The sun is shining again! It's a big mud pit outside. But the lambs (there are 12 of them at the moment)  are running about, playing and having fun together...

No comments: