Monday, August 15, 2016

Making bread again...


I quit making bread when I stopped eating flour and sugar back last year in March. I have been making this bread for a very long time. I think about 18 years.

A few weeks ago, I thought I might start making bread and rolls for the market. When I quit I sold all my wheat to a friend, so I didn't have anything. I had to start all over basically. Wheat berries are expensive too. And yeast. And olive oil. I have my own milk and eggs and honey, so that helps. But now I think I would like to get 50 pound bags of wheat.

The bread and rolls are selling good. I only make 3 loaves or 3 dozen rolls. I sell the rolls in bags of 6. They really are good.

So here is my grinder. It's very loud and sounds like a jet in my kitchen!


Then I mix up all the ingredients: milk, eggs, honey, olive oil, wheat, then yeast and more wheat. Then sea salt. It gets kneaded in this DLX for 12 minutes. Then I put it on the back porch, where it's warm, til it rises to the top.



Next, I either make loaves or rolls. Then they go back to the porch til doubled. Then to the oven.




Nice big loaves of good whole wheat bread.



Tonight I'll make rolls for the Tuesday market. It takes SO long to make this bread. I'll also make zucchini bread in the morning.

4 comments:

An At Home Daughter said...

Looks delicious! I wish I could eat bread again. I love the smell of bread dough.
Kimberly

Kris said...

I know. I can't eat it either but love to smell it! And I love the way the house smells too.

Kris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Kris your bread looks amazing!!! I would love to try your recipe for whole wheat bread. I use water, olive oil and honey in mine. I have never tried using eggs in a whole wheat bread. I have only used it in desert breads. If you get time would love the recipe. Thanks.

Linds