Thursday, November 29, 2012

Saving Sophie

Yesterday, I saw a post on FB asking if anyone would give their life for their dog. Apparently there was a father, mother and son who all drowned trying to save their dog that was struggling in the ocean in California. They all drowned while the daughter watched. And the dog got out fine. So sad.

As I read all the responses to that question, I really didn't know what my answer was. At first, I thought, no way would I risk my own life for any of my animals. I have a husband and kids and grand kids whom I love very much. I don't think I'd want to put them through that. But I just have no idea what I would do if I were ever put in a position to have to save one of my dogs.

So this morning, while giving hay to my goats, I saw Stella, my youngest dog, over in the side yard. There is a small dug out place that holds water all the time. I call it my little pond. I looked closer at what Stella was after and saw Sophie in the water trying to get out. Sophie is 15 years old and her back legs don't work so good.I have no idea how she got in the water or why she was in the water. I think Stella was trying to help her out. And it was about 30 degrees last night so that water was cold. I have no idea even how long she had been in the water either.

I had to run back to the house to get to the yard and to the pond. All I had to do was reach down and grab her. I got her out and went to get a towel to dry her off. Poor little thing was sopping wet and cold. But I thought how awful it was watching Sophie struggling to get out and falling back in. I could not have watched and done nothing. Although I didn't have to risk my life for Sophie then, I think I would have if she had been in the middle of a lake or bigger pond. It was hard to see.

I have to say that Stella really saved Sophie.

So what would you do?










2 comments:

Teri said...

Hi Kris ...
Really a stupid question to even ask or put out there. To me those people did what they thought was right, I am sure they no way thought we are all gonna die!
It was God's will, and their time, it just so happens we can't pick situations, we are put there. God will help us make it out alive or keep us for what ever his reason is. "even the very hairs of your head are all numbered".
Mattthew 10:30
And yes, so very sad for the girl who watched all this unfold ... nuff said ... my husband has gone out on thin ice to get our Huskey, you just don't know what you will do unless....
Anyway, to join my site it is the same as the others you have joined ... log in go to bottom of page and click follow ...
Have a great week, and I hope you are doing well at the holiday market.
Teri

Kris said...

Teri, I agree. You just never know what you'll do in any situation.

The market starts this coming weekend. I'll do the 8th and 9th then again the 15th and 16th. All day long. you should come on down. It's not that far. And free parking and admission too.