Thursday, June 28, 2012

All Done!

These are pictures from a few weeks ago. I didn't take any this morning. I was on a tight schedule. I wanted to see how fast I could get 6 chickens butchered, cleaned and in the fridge. I started at 7:15 and was all done and cleaned up by 8:45. Then a little longer to get them all in the fridge and iced down. So around 2 hours from start to finish. Not too bad for one farm gal. And that grill really made all the difference. I got them all done without having to stop at all. And the coolest thing happened. Right when I was finished with the very last chicken, the fire in the grill went out. It ran out of propane right at the last minute! Now that is a God thing to me.
 That live chicken on the table telling her friends goodbye is one of the chickens in the fridge right now.
 This one was pretty big. About 5 pounds.
 This is my killing cone hanging from a cedar tree. The white bucket we used to do the turkeys.
And now there are no more of these running around the yard anymore. For a few weeks anyway. I'll order some Freedom Rangers in a few weeks for an early September butchering.

If you can see that one lone chicken in the background in the cage, that's the devil hen. She's a game hen that got out of the coop about a month ago and I could never catch her. Til about a week or so ago. My grands were here and they helped get her. You can just see a green thing on top of the cage. Well, that's the straw that broke my back. It's a green tomato. That's all she wrote for that chick. Put an ad on Craig's List and a few days later, she's outta here! There will not be another chicken getting my tomatoes again. Or they'll end up like the one in the 2nd picture.

2 comments:

SweetLand Farm said...

WOW your fast! Good job!

Kris said...

Thanks! I didn't even break a sweat either. It was really cool. Now if I had had to haul that big ole iron canning pot back to the house 4 times, I would have been. But I think I have this down now.