Monday, April 6, 2015

Around the farm...

 And just like that, most of the trees are green again! The grass is growing like crazy. Already been mown twice. I haven't been able to start the garden because it's still too wet. And rain all this week too. I do like a fall garden best anyway. But I do want green beans, corn and tomatoes.




This is one of my herb gardens. I can see chives and a few other things coming back in. I should add more soil.




                                         The clematis is full of blooms! Can't wait to see them.





I think all 4 fig bushes are dead. Makes me so sad. They did great the first year. Had lots of figs that were so good. Then last year, they were getting leaves and we had a killing frost. So I cut them all way back and they came back, all nice and full. Got a few figs. But this year, they are doing nothing. I'll break a branch and it's brown. No life at all. So sad. I wonder what happened? Does anyone else have figs?




My little bee garden is looking good. Hosta popping up all around it. And I see several of the perennials coming up that I planted last year. Me and Kansas got in there the other day and pulled up big clumps of grass and the dead branches. Looks better. I'll mulch when everything is bigger.




The 3 pear trees are in full bloom! And full of critters. Lots of my honey bees. I hope to get lots of pears this year.




                                   Cab you see the honey bee right in the middle of this picture?





  Beautiful apple blossoms. This is on one of the newer apple trees below the garden. I planted 6 there and can't remember what all they are. I know I got Arkansas Black, a Granny Smith, and a few Yates. But can't remember the others. They were good last year.


 

 And the Old  Granny Smith apple tree, in full bloom too. The Yates and Early June is coming along too but not like this yet.





Here are some working girls. I love my hens. I have 7 and get 7 eggs about every other day. Yesterday, I was putting them up for the night and only saw 6 with the rooster. I got them in and looked all over for #7. I had taken a long walk earlier and thought maybe she had followed me. But I didn't see anything on the road. Looked in the garage and other rooms. No # 7 anywhere. Then I saw her, meandering along the fence in the studio yard. Just taking her time. She's always by herself. She marches to the beat of her own drum, that one. I was very glad to see her and she went right in the coop.




And this was my lunch yesterday. I love this salad. My favorite. It's spring lettuce mix with dandelion greens and red loose lettuce. I added some hen-bit and violet flowers. Also have dried cranberries, walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese with a Superberry fruit vinaigrette dressing. It's SO good! I do hope you all go outside and harvest wild food from your yards and eat them!




I rode my new bike down to the fire hall and back yesterday. Man, I have not been on a bike in years. It's hard!! I was exhausted y'all. And it's only about a few blocks away maybe? Why is riding a bike so hard? And that seat! Torture! I think it feels too small for me. I might take it back and go to the bike store and try them. They are a lot more money, but I want a bike to last for a long time. And I want to be comfortable. I might try a cruising bike. I won't be racing. And the seats are bigger and look more comfy.

My friend will come today and we'll finish the dress I started last week. I tried it on Kansas and it's perfect! She likes it. So I hope to make lots more clothes soon.

3 comments:

An At Home Daughter said...

You can buy a bigger seat to put on the bike. My Mom did that with hers when we used to have bicycles. Most of the cruisers don't change gears (I was looking into getting a bike a while back), which means harder on the knees to get going.
Kimberly

Betty Ann said...

Wow! Food that fresh and pretty sure makes dieting easier!

Kris said...

Took the bike back today. I'll go back to that bike shop in Chatt. later and see what they can do for me. Wal-mart and K-mart are really no help.

Yes, pretty food makes it more fun to eat right.