Wednesday, February 4, 2015

What we've been up to


About ankle deep in mud and old broken leaking water pipes. As if there wasn't already tons of mud on this farm and not a dry spot anywhere. UGH!

We have been dealing with this very same spot here for years now. Seems like we patch a little every year. It started to the right in this pic. Then it moves down a few feet. We don't even cover the hole back up any more because we know we'll just have to dig it all back up. Which is probably not very bright.

So from right here, it is now gray PVC pipe. But going to the road from here is all very old galvanized pipe. VERY OLD PIPE! The main house here, where we live, was built in 1948. They had a well back then. Then about 1975 or so, the old man had the little house built to the right beyond this picture. So this is in between the 2 houses.

I don't know when they got city water here, but they re plumbed it all over to city and disconnected the well. There is a hole that's covered up with a wooden box in the cat room, which is next to the kitchen. We think it had something to do with the well. It's creepy though.



You can see where this river is headed. To my garden shed where my mowers and tiller are parked.  To the right is the bigger sheep pasture, where the sheep are staying now til we can get this fixed. It's just a muddy mess over there.

My husband called a plumber this morning and they're supposed to come out and look things over and give us an estimate. I'm thinking a couple thousand bucks. It's about 650 feet to the road straight ahead. And when we do get this all done, I want a faucet for my garden and to water the animals over on the other side of the driveway, to the left. If you can see under the shed to the left, I have the old kitchen sink under there. I  have wanted to be able to use it to wash produce there. That would be so nice. Then run a water line to the garden from the wash water. And be able to water the garden without having to drag 10, 586 feet of hose all over this farm. Because the only 2 outside faucets we have on this whole place are at the little house and the well house. That's all.




So, the husband has this bright idea to put a Tee right here, about 12 feet from the well house, to the faucet there, for the 2 houses to have water. From the well. I have no idea what he's talking about. Til I see it. This is all well and good right now, since we have so much rain in the winter. And NONE in the summer. And the well goes dry after filling up the sheep trough. But we have an 11 year old girl child here now. If anyone else has one of those, you know what I'm talking about, right? 30 minute showers and all. So this might work til we can afford to have the water line fixed.




This is the old well house. I use it for all kinds of things as you can see. But the water is amazingly cold in the summer. I love getting soaked after working out in the garden. So nice. That little hole is to the left of the picture here, about 12 or so feet away.



  And just a little bit of mud for your enjoyment, just in case you don't have any right now. This is where my poor sheep have to go through to go out back. And where I have to go to get to my studio. I hate it!




So anyway. I hope it's not going to cost an arm or a leg to get this done. But it so needs to be done. because I am sick of having to deal with this mess all the time. That's all.   ( I might do a Go Fund Me project.)

1 comment:

Betty Ann said...

Oh my. I know you must get this fixed but I am sure there is never a good time to fit anything this big into a budget.