Tuesday, December 30, 2014

I love spinning!


I can't stop. It's so addictive and fun. I am getting better at it, since I first started. I wish I could be more consistent, but that will come with practice, I hope.

This is Adele's wool, all spun. I got 3 skeins of it. I did use a little bit of my white alpaca's fleece in this, because Adele doesn't have the best wool. It needed a little bit of softness added in. This will go to a friend who has a pretty little red headed daughter named Adele. I hope she can knit this into a pretty sweater for her. She can dye it if she wants when she gets it. I still need to set the twist, then it's done.



This is Adele. She's 3. Her mother was part hair and her father is Abraham, the Finn ram. So she is mostly Finn, but still had some course wool. This next shearing will    give me some really nice wool from her. It's looking really good. She is still not letting me touch her. I've had her since she was born here and she's always been this way. Her ewe lamb, Cassadee, is very friendly and will let me pet her all over. But not Adele.





I let the sheep out into the front yard yesterday to eat the pretty green grass. They didn't know what to do with it. Crazy sheep. So this is what some of them did, stared at me through the kitchen door. These 3 brown lambs are 3 of the quads. 2 of them are boys. The ram looked just like them. They were all 3 born jet black.


Here they all are on the green grass. They did eat some of it. Then I called to get a round bale of hay delivered for them. I had them take it next door to the bigger dryer pasture. There's a little barn with a shelter he put it under for them. So they can stay over there for awhile. It's so wet and muddy in the lot behind them in this picture. I sink up to my ankles out there. Not good for the sheep and alpacas to be walking in that.





All the sheep are looking pretty good. They are all fat and sassy. I love these sheep. And am so enjoying being able to finally spin their wool. I have 2 more bags of wool to wash, Annabelle's and her daughter Buttercup's. Then several fleeces I have bought. I need to get these all washed and ready before March. That's when the shearer will be coming. Then I will have 12 more to do!

Happy new year y'all! I hope it's a good one for everyone.

1 comment:

Iris said...

You will never run out of things to do, for sure! I know the real Adele will appreciate her sweater.