Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wednesday wool...


This is some of the Cormo roving I bought up in Townsend last month. I bought 2 of this color and 2 white. Then a yellow and pinky-orange. I did not enjoy spinning this pencil roving at all! I havd to hold on so tight to keep it from breaking, my fingers hurt. And then it broke anyway. Many times. It was not fun. The white roving was lots thicker, so much easier. I don't know if it was the wool, or the roving size, but I didn't like it. First time spinning Cormo though. It's really soft.



So I decided to ply these 2 together. I had much more of the white. So still have a lot left of it.



                                                     It's really pretty. Peaches-n-Cream.





I love my porch since I cleaned it up. I sit here and spin and listen to the sounds of the country and my farm.





                                   This is the skein of the Peaches-n-Cream. 95 yards and 8 oz.







This is the yellow and pink roving, all spun and plied. I used my Adalaide's wool that I've been hand combing with my new combs. It was just enough to make 54 yards of yarn. I kept thinking it reminded me of something. I thought maybe that coconut candy? Then maybe the board game Candyland? At first, I wasn't sure of the colors together. Now I love it and wish I had more. 





So what could someone make out of just 54 yards? Or could these 2 skeins be combines? I think they would would make a pretty baby blanket or hat and sweater.




I still have a bag of Merino roving to spin. And the brown, I think it's Jacob, I will finish hand combing the Wensleydale that's the same color, and ply them together. Should be really nice.

I am so hoping my shearer comes Friday. Haven't heard anything from her yet. 2 more days. I hope the wool isn't too messy to work with now.

4 comments:

An At Home Daughter said...

Was the Cormo wool fibers actually breaking? Or was the fibers just pulling out of your fingers as you spun. If they were pulling out of your fingers, you probably need to loosen the tension on your wheel for that specific fiber.
Kimberly

Kris said...

Yes, I was having to really hold tight on this thin roving. Will not ever get roving this thin. It's just a hassle for me. And my tension was probably too tight for this too.

Denny144 said...

They remind me of Pixie Sticks. Do they even make that candy anymore? The colors you wove are gorgeous.

Kris said...

Maybe that's what it reminded of me of. Thanks! I wish I'd bought more now, it's so pretty.