Friday, May 15, 2015

1 year ago...

 I got 2 bee hives. I put 1 in the garden and 1 out back in the goat pasture. This is the day I got them, coming out of the nuc.


One of the frames, full of beautiful bees.




A peek inside the hive. Lots of busy bees!





Added another small super.




Just such a beautiful sight to see! So many bees.




Winter. It was cold. I lost the outback hive. One day they were there, next day they were gone. I don't know what happened. I think maybe the queen died and the bees just left. Maybe moved up to the garden hive?

So I decided to wrap the hive in a heavy quilt when it got below 35. I think it helped them. So many people lost hives this past winter.




They made it! And I had to add boxes. They were busy working, foraging, gathering lots and lots of pollen.




And this is now. The bee condo. They are doing great and I should get honey in June! I am so happy to have these beautiful bees. It's been a year of learning and growing. I still don't know a whole lot about bees and probably never will. But I am thankful for knowing people who do and I can ask for help.



So if you haven't made that jump into becoming a bee keeper, think about it. It's really not that hard to do. And it's SO worth it. Every sting, every scare, every day. It's worth it.

No comments: