Friday, May 17, 2013


This is my mom and Gary, just this past Christmas at their house. They met right after my husband and I got married in Oct. 1978. They were married in April '79. And have been together ever since. And I do mean together. They do everything together. They've only been apart when either mom or Gary have had surgery. And once Gary worked 3rd shift. Other than that, together all the time. They moved up here to Ft. Oglethorpe to be closer to me and my family. My brother and sister and all their kids are in Colorado.

Gary has been in the hospital since last Tuesday. In ICU the whole time. He is a very sick man right now. He has had a few good days and they get their hopes up. Then the next day he's back down again. Yesterday mom called and said I needed to get to the hospital fast. It took just a few minutes to change from my dirty farm clothes, jump in the car, turn on the flashers and drove as fast as I possibly could the 25 miles to the hospital. God cleared the road of most cars. And I had to go trough only one red light. But made it in about 30 minutes.

He was hooked up to an oxygen mask, head slightly down, breathing really fast. The nurses were doing all they could for him. They took off the mask so he could cough. He was so congested. He did pull through this, but barely. We just don't know what's going to happen. The doctors have said that when he is able to leave ICU that he'll have to be put in a rahab center. He'll have a very long road ahead of him.

He looks nothing like this right now. The last thing he ate actually was  a meatloaf I made at his request for his birthday the 5th. Nothing since then. And no, it was not the meatloaf that did this. He has a lot of problems mostly due to pneumonia right now. And very low blood pressure, very fast heart rate. It just goes on and on.

They just live a few blocks from this hospital in a really nice neighborhood. Everyone watches out for each other. Their closest neighbors have mowed their yard a few times before. Last week mom mowed the front yard and wouldn't let me do the back. I shouldn't have said anything about it and just done it. But she went home the other night and the back was mowed. Her neighbor Gary had done it. Really nice people.

I worry more about my mom right now. There's been way too many downs than ups. She gets her hopes up one minute to have them thrown to the ground the next. She is able to go home at night. But she's just worn out, sitting or standing most of the day. I have been there too but not like her. She called last night to tell me she was home for the night. She said she was so tired that she had her keys out to open the elevator door! I so hope he gets over this for her. She needs him so much. He does so much for her. And I don't know what she'll do without him.

I love Gary. Although we have had some rough times, I do love him. They have reservations to go out to Colorado in August to see the rest of the family out there. We keep telling him he has to get better so he can drive mom out there. They still have so many things they want to do still. Please say a prayer for Gary. And for my mom. I don't want her to get sick over all this. So far, she's doing really good. She's a very healthy lady. And I love her so much.


Tombstone Livestock said...

She must be exhausted, stress and just sitting and waiting can really take it's tole ... make sure she is taking care of herself too. Prayers for your family.

Betty Ann said...

You and your family have moved to the top of my prayer list. It is especially hard on the caregivers. That means your Mom and You too. Hugs

Kris said...

Thank you both. Gary had a good day today. He's so funny. He said at night that whole place changes. They have a big party. He had a whole body CT scan this afternoon to see where the infection is coming from that's making him so sick. I hope they have some news tomorrow and can start working on getting it cleared up fast. He's talking a bit more today too. But really tired. Thanks so much for your prayers. They are so needed right now. And I've been bringing mom good food. I told her she needs to be eating and resting because we don't need her to get sick. Especially as cold as it is in there. The thermostat was on 55 today. I turned it up to a little over 70. I was freezing and had a blanket on.

Woman Seeking Center said...

Thinking of and wishing for the best for your mom, Gary and you too. This is so hard on all of you for different reasons, in different ways....

So, take care of YOU too while watching over and being there for your mom and Gary.

Glad today held some good news. Any good day(s) are excellent news.

Hugs to you

SweetLand Farm said...

Sorry to hear this. I hope that things work out. And your mom, and you, are able to get some rest.

An At Home Daughter said...

I will keep you guys in my prayers.


Kris said...

He had a great night and there is no infection! The doctor asked him if he wanted anything and Gary said frozen yogurt. So I'm going to the store to get him vanilla frozen yogurt. Mom said the doctor is going to treat Gary 4 more days. Then we'll see what they do. Tuesday will be 2 weeks in the ICU.

Kris said...

Thank you ALL for all the prayers. He is feeling them for sure. And mom had a good night and she sounds SO happy. I will tell them about all of you. Thanks again SO much.

Linda said...

Kristin have been praying and hope he continues to get better. Hugs to all of you.

Take care all of you.