Monday, May 14, 2012

Some good ways to eat kale...

And not even know you are. I never thought I would like the little green leaves. But I grew 2 100' rows of it. Mainly to sell at market. But when they don't all sell, I have to come up with ways to eat it. So here are a few.

I love smoothies. You can put just about anything in a smoothie and add yogurt and honey and put a few big hands full of kale. The blender just chops it up into little tiny green dots. No one will even know that there is a leafy green in their yummy smoothie. Just a great way to get some good green veggie goodness.

Another way is in a Frittata. I love these. I just saute any veggie, like onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, zuchinni, squash, brocolli. Go ahead and whip up your nice fresh eggs from the coop and grate or crumble some good fresh cheese or some you just made. Like Chevre or Feta is great in this. Oh, and have your oven pre heated to about 400. Then a few minutes before adding eggs, put a few big hands full of kale. You can also add Swiss chard and or spinach too. I have done it with all 3. Take off burner and pour eggs all over top and sprinkle cheese all over. Pop in the oven for about 10 minutes, depending on how big it is and how many eggs you put in. When it's not jiggly in the middle, it's done.

A friend told me about this a few weeks ago and I have made it twice already. Brown some good somewhat spicy sausage with chopped onions, peppers, garlic, mushrooms. When brown , add your kale, a few good hands full. While this is sauteing, cook some pasta. I used Gluten Free the 1st time and some good home made sausage from the slaughterhouse where I get my dog bones. It was SO good. And just right spicy. The 2nd time I used Jimmy Dean regular and it was not nearly as good. I had to add some Creole seasoning to spice it up. So when pasta is done, drain and pour sausage-kale mixture over it. And enjoy! It is even better the next day as leftovers.

My favorite way to cook all that kale is to add to collard greens with a big ole smoked ham bone. You talk about some flippin' good food. Right there is all ya need for a good meal. Well, maybe a good cast iron pan of corn bread slathered in home made butter.

And of course it can be added to any soup too. I had made some chicken and rice and added some kale to it. I liked it.

So go pick some kale and get creative! And healthy while you're at it.

2 comments:

SweetLand Farm said...

I like kale. Ever tried kale chips?? Those are good too, with a little oil and salt. Even some garlic!!! Yummy! Will have to try it in your suggestions!

Kris said...

Hi. Yes, I did try some kale chips once. I must not have done them right because they just fell apart. Like I had the oven too hot or left them in too long. So do you have a good way to make them? I'd like to try again.