Monday, August 14, 2017

More birds and bees.

Ok, this hawk is just a little too comfortable here. I was going out to get ready to move the sheep yesterday and saw this. I actually threw a water can at him but didn't hit him. I thought it was hurt, or a baby, but it had a sparrow. It went under the fence here and over to the corner. That's when I saw the little bird. It was still breathing. So we got the hawk away from it and it flew into the maple tree. The sparrow got away.


                   
This is where it stayed for a long time.It finally went back to where the sparrow had been and stayed there for awhile. Then I had to run it off. I went out to the coop and put some fence back up at the top where it was before. I am so glad I did. Because later, after the chickens were in the coop, the hawk had flown over there and was on the roof. 

This morning, the hawk was sleeping on the fence by the garden. I walked out there to see what it was. I could have caught it. It was sleeping and the head was under the back feathers. Anyway, it flew off and we haven't seen it today.




Allan finally came about 8 last night to get that little swarm. It was there all day. We cut off all the little branches and just put the whole thing in the nuc.



Then he went over to check my hives, to see where those bees came from. He lifted the lid on that hive over to the left and those girls were so mad! They were all over him! It took about 10 minutes for him to get them off him.But he did say the top box was full of honey! So when he brings me my extractor back, I will rob the hives! Probably Thursday or Friday.




I stopped on my way home today to check on 4 of the lambs that a friend got from me. She's had them about a month I think. They've been doing really well there. But when I got to the fence, I heard that sound. That raspy weezy sound. So we went in and sure enough, the female, Emmy, had a big ole puffy face.

So went home, grabbed some wormer and red cell and went back over. Got all 4 lambs and gave them all red cell. I did not worm the boys. They looked fine. But she was going to get B complex and I'll go back in the morning and we'll start that.

Geeze, I am SO tired of sick sheep!! That's all I've been doing for 3 months now! All my ewes are finally better. I have been giving them B shots every day for a week now. I think they might make it. But really, I am tired of this! I am not the only one dealing with this apparently. All over the country, it's pretty bad.

So I am going to milk the goat and go to bed. Good night!

No comments: