Sunday, May 15, 2016

Making something pretty out of ugly.


I made these 2 the other day. They are both really wonky and I should have just smashed them and started over. But I didn't. So I let them dry a few days.




And this is them today. I feel like they are both really cute pieces of pottery now. Something that can be used. I just like them. I etched little flowers on the inside of the bowl, all the way around.





This one, I used a different tool to get the deeper lines. Then etched little flowers along the rim. Very cute now. Sometimes, you just never know how a bowl or mug or plate will turn out.




This is another bowl I thought I should have smashed. But I made little scallops and added flowers too. Turned another wonky ugly bowl into something that's cute and functional.




The pot with the lid I made the other day too. I had made a different lid for it, but couldn't get the handle to stick. So I watched a few videos on how to make lids and did this one. It's from a video of a guy who was making garlic pots. That's what the holes are for. I wish I had his little hole making tool. Maybe I'll have one some day.




I hope I can do something with that really wonky bowl in the left back now. It was a mess.





Sometimes I feel like I should not be at the wheel. Then some days I can make some pretty cool things. I will not give up!

4 comments:

Kim said...

I think they are beautiful. And you certainly made lemonade from your lemons!

There is a co-op near me and they have several potters that do lovely work. I was in there one day and a lady (late 20's) came in and was trying to convince them to allow her to display and sell her work. It was not wheel thrown but yet slab and coil work, but it had a distinct quality about it. Primitive and rustic yet structurally sound and very eye pleasing. Well I was in there again the other day and I saw a couple of pieces on a shelf and I said to the manager that I was glad to see them having given her a chance to display a few pieces. She said, "me too, I just wish there was 2 of her cause she can't make it fast enough!"

I say all this to say that as soon as the right customers find you you will sell out.

I love seeing all your lovelies!

Kris said...

Thank you! What a great story about that ladies work.

I am going to take these things to the studio to fire today. Glazing the flowers will be interesting.

Abby said...

I love the little flowers on them. so talented!

Kris said...

Thanks Abby. They are all fired now. I'll go in next week to glaze them all. Can't wait!