Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Glazing

I have a new phone. I got it so I could get one of those squares for the markets and not miss any sales. I bought one when I got the phone but it won't work. My brother tried to get it hooked up down at the barn last weekend, but not good reception way down there. So I have one of those white ones coming. And it's free! But not to use it. I can take cards but I have to manually put in all the info. Which is fine with me. So I am finally caught up to all you smart phone people! I love taking pictures with it. But still have a lot to figure out about it.

So I went to the pottery studio this afternoon to glaze all those pieces I took in a few weeks ago. There were so many! I only got about halfway through and had to leave to milk the poor goaties. I'm going to try to go back Saturday to finish the bigger bowls.

It sure is a time consuming job, this glazing. A lot of thought goes into each piece. First, I have to check each piece and sand any sharp edges. Then I have to decide what color each piece will be. That takes awhile to decide. There are way too many colors to choose from! All the little circle and square colored pieces are samples I chose



Then the bottoms all have to either be dipped in wax or paint it on. That's to keep the glaze from sticking to the bottom, then sticking to the shelves in the kiln and eventually breaking the piece and messing up the shelf. Not a good thing.



Then comes the fun part! Glazing all these. First though, each bucket of glaze has to be stirred quite a bit. Then I don't really like the little  tongs because they leave little spots where they were. So I just hold the handle of the mug and dip, then wait til it's dry and do the handle.

And I tried something different with the 6 bowls. I dipped half in a sea green and the other half in a       light blue. I hope they turn out pretty. I'd like to go back with each bowl and brush on each side with the opposite color with a dry brush. So I hope they don't get fired til I can get back to do that.  I'd like to try doing different things, but it really takes so much time. Which I don't have much of lately.




I also bought 50 more pounds of clay! I hope I can find time next week to play with it.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

love reading your blog.

An At Home Daughter said...

Wow! You've been busy!
Kim

Kris said...

Thank you Daryl. All this is because of you! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Kris, my sister Betty Ann told me about you when I mentioned wanting a wool dryer ball. How do I shop with you? Also, I love clay. What cone are you using? And someday you'll be firing for yourself, I'm sure. Gail

Kris said...

Hi Gail. I just saw this. I can send you whatever you need. I use those boxes at the post office that ship for a certain amount. So it's not too much.

I think the pottery studio uses cone 6. It's an electric kiln. They are trying to get a gas fired kiln that UTC is giving to either this studio or someone else. We are hoping we get it! I hope to have my own kiln one day.

I just went in today to glaze a whole lot more! It takes awhile to do so much.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Kris. Could you let me know the cost including shipping for two balls? And how I'd go about paying you?? I reduced my cone to 5...but had to purchase different clay. I found it less expensive in the long run, and still tight and vitrified. Still, 6 is the standard. :-). Gail