Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Had a little scare this morning.


And I don't really remember putting the tea pot on the stove or turning it on. I remember thinking about a cup of tea. But then thought I better wait till after I come back in from milking the goat.

Then my mom called. I was standing outside and told her I smelled smoke and that I hoped it wasn't a brish fire somewhere close by. It's been really dry here.

Then went inside and saw the tea pot on the stove with smoke pouring up and some flames. Then realized I had put the almost empty tea pot on the stove and turned it on.

This is what it looked like.



Bottom melted off the pot and on the eye.




And my husband sitting in the living room in his recliner, watching tv. He said he didn't smell anything but heard the tea pot whistling.

Yeah, house could have burned down all around the husband and he would have just sat there. And the house was just about full of smoke.

And while I was outside, I heard the smoke detector go off. For like 5 minutes. When I came back in, he was trying to make it stop.

I'm going to have to be more careful. That was scary. That's how my sister's house burned down a year ago. She left something on the stove and forgot about it.  Pretty scary for sure.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Oh My! I am so glad you are all okay. That could have had a very different ending. Remind hubs that it is not about making the alarm be quiet, but about finding the source. Whistling teakettle would have been an awful good clue! I would have had to look at my dh and ask, wheres your sign?

Hope today is a better day!

Kris said...

It takes my husband awhile to get anywhere these days. He would have jumped up though if he'd smelled the smoke sooner. It's pretty far from the kitchen to the living room. I have been much carefuller since.