Monday, October 8, 2012

Elderberry syrup

It's that time of year again. Itchy sore throat, runny nose, just general yucky feeling. So I make elderberry syrup and take a tablespoon every morning. I have not been sick in several years since I do this. And it's SO easy to make too. 


You just need dried elderberries, water, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, grated ginger and honey. So simple.



Here's the recipe. And I always double it to make about 4 cups.

1 cup dried elderberries
4 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
10 whole cloves
10 T grated ginger (I just usually buy a big ole chunk of ginger and use it all. I don't measure.)
2 cups honey

So you start by putting the first 5 ingredients in a big pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, til it's reduced by about half. It takes a good 30 minutes or so. But ya know what? I have never let it get that far. That's what my recipe says, but I don't always follow directions.

Then you strain all that goodness into a bowl or measuring cup. Add 2 cups honey and stir til all dissolved.

I reuse all my little dark colored fish oil bottles for this. It says to keep in dark containers. These are perfect and hold 1 cup each. It makes 4 cups most of the time. Sometimes a little more, sometimes less. This time was a little more. I just drank it. It's so good!



A friend of mine orders the berries for me. But you could look up on line for places to order elderberries from. You all need to make this, right now, before you get sick. And kids can drink this too! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Teri said...

Hi Kris,
Great tip! I did not know this.
Also you can dye you wool a pretty shade of lavender!
I'll have to try some, I hate being sick.
Teri

Kris said...

Ya know, I had thought about that. I wonder about using the plain elderberry water for soap too? That sounds good. I might try that tomorrow. Just use elderberry water in the lye. Yum.