Sunday, April 10, 2011

Much Too Busy Sunday

We finally did it. We butchered the 2 tom turkeys. My hubby was home and I asked him if he wanted to help. Well, really I told him we were going to butcher 2 turkeys, so get up and get a move on, buddy. So he did. I got everything ready and we did it. A friend made a feather plucker that attaches to a drill. Very handy tool. It only took about 1 1/2 hours total. One weighed 12 pounds. The other had so much fat I thought surely he would have eventually died of a heart attack. He must have been hogging all the feed. He weighed 14 pounds. So that chore is done. I had wanted to do that for a long time now. They are 10 months old. Now I might be able to let the other tom and the 4 hens out without the hens running up front to the other boys. Then they head to the road. I have one turkey hen that is setting on some eggs now. They have been laying alot. I have already sold 2 dozen for incubating. I hope they hatch. I will put this hen in a big cage soon. Then take the turkey babies and try to sell them. I also made bread and rolls during all that. Not a good idea. I kept having to stop and get bread out of the oven. Also started some heirloom tomato seeds in egg shells and old toilet paper rolls. I hope they all come up. I had the garden plowed Friday so it's all ready to plant. It's been in the 80's this week. I did plant some broccoli and cabbage in a raised bed. Hubby weed whacked in the huge strawberry beds yesterday. I think he weed whacked all the strawberry plants. But I won't say anything. I'm just glad he still does this for me. The 2 pigs go to the butcher Monday. I let them out for the day to enjoy their last day here. I have a half a lemon cake and some goodies for their last dinner tonight. We are getting a trailor from a friend and will load them up tonight. Then in the morning I will give them biscuits and gravy for their last meal. They have been good pigs. But I do believe a freezer full of bacon, sausage and pork chops will be a whole lot easier to take care of, don't ya think? I took some pictures and will upload later.

No comments: