Thursday, April 14, 2011

Some Outback Frm Animals

This is Abby and her brand new kids. They were born last night about 5:30 . She had a doe and a buck. First doe kid for her in 3 years. I am so proud of Abby. I named the doe Zarah Belle. I will keep her. The little buck needs a name. He will probably go up the road to my friend's to be their herd sire. He is so handsome. Abby is a great mother. Check out that udder. She's the best milker too. Zarah has a #3 on her right side. My daughter Abby (yes, her name is Abby. That's why I got the goat Abby) said that's because she's the 1st doe in 3 years and the 3rd time's the charm. Now we are waiting on Sandy to kid. They weren't due til the 19th. So she has a few more days to go. Here are the turkeys. That's Harper, the big guy. He is in charge of his 4 ladies. Right now there is 1 hen setting on 11 eggs. There are 2 other hens that think she needs help. So they get right up as close as the can to her. It's so cute. I hope the eggs hatch. Mother's Day will be the big day.
Here are the pigs I had for 3 1/2 months. The one on the right just went to the butcher Monday. The other one stayed here til this afternoon when she left to go to her new home up the road to get bigger. The one I took to the butcher was so small. The butcher said I should take her back home to fatten up some more. I just couldn't do it. After all the trouble of getting that pig loaded in the trailor, I was not about to unload her and keep her 3 more months. I don't have that kind of money anyway. I bet those pork chops and sausage will be so good.
I just love this picture of Mazie and Chuck laying under the shade tree.
This was the day Chuck was born. He's now going on 5 weeks old. He's a big boy.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Oh how I love baby animals in the spring! Love the goat babies~they are precious!

P.S. I agree with you on the pig~it's too much work to reload, unload, fatten, reload, unload...:) Enjoy your chops!

Kris said...

Kim, they called today. She weighed out at 95 pounds. I'll pick it up next week when the hams are ready. I had them cured. They had to give me someone else's lard. How embarrassing.