Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Kitchen Smells So Good!

Right now in the kitchen I have fresh green beans with little baby potatoes and ham hocks from my pig, collard greens with ham hocks, a chicken in the oven that I butchered the other day with shallots from the garden and onions from the farmer's market. I have fresh rosemary, thyme and lemon thyme on the chicken. So everything except the little onions came right from this farm. It smells amazingly good all over the house. Such a good feeling.

There are some almost ripe tomatoes out there too. I thought I'd give them a few more days to ripen. But this morning on the way to the garden, I saw Benjamin Bunny. Bubba saw him too and took off after it. I was going to tell him not to chase the cute little bunny, but thought about all the food that cute little bunny might help himself to. SO I let Bubba chase it out of the garden.

Me and the grand, Kansas, went out to the garden this morning and she helped me pick the beans. She broke that all but a few. Then I went out and dug the little bitty tiny cutle little potatoes. I wanted to raost them with the chicken but decided to put them in with the beans.

I also made bread and rolls. That smells so good too. I love fresh bread right out of the oven. With butter and some good homemade jelly. Yum! That's like dessert.

What are some good things you're eating from your farm right now? I would love to hear.

2 comments:

Zev said...

Oh, that makes my mouth water just to read about it. :) We made a chicken pot pie from one of our young roosters last week that was pretty good, but I have to admit that my cooking skills haven't yet caught up to the quality of home-grown ingredients.

From the Country Farm said...

Hi Kris,
I saw your comment on Jenna's blog about wanting to have a cool three legged old fashioned milking stool to milk your goats by. I have one for sale. It's not old, but it's what you're looking for I think. Stop by my blog and contact me for more info. I'd leave me email address on here but I think it's better that I don't. I LOVE the pic below of your 4 lamanchas! TOOOOO CUTE!!! I've got Nubians myself, love the long floppy ears! gotta love 'em. Thanks for your time!