Tuesday, May 19, 2015

And here is Olga.

 So poor Freja has been very vocal since I got her last week. Her Nubian is coming out really nicely, I must say. So I figured she needed a goat friend, as the sheep just weren't her type. She did ok with them, but they'd just all get up and leave and not bother to tell her where they were going or how long they'd be gone. So it just wasn't working for her. And she let me know. All day. And night. She needed a goat friend.

So my friend Kendra, who I got Freja from, had a friend who has Lamancha does and wanted to sell a few. I went to see them Monday. She had a really friendly smaller black doe that I just loved. But not for sale. The other one was 5 years old, never been bred, half Nubian and Lamancha. Looked like Freja but with elf ears. Really nice looking doe. Already had nice formed udder and teats. But 5 years old. And half Nubian. Which is great. But Nubians are LOUD animals.

So I chose this girl. When I first saw her, I thought for sure she was part or mostly Toggenburg. But no, full Lamancha. Just some of her line has long hair. She had the sire on site and he's huge and black. And not hairy. And they had 2 sisters. One had hair but not as long. The other had short hair. She comes from a really good line of dairy goats and the sire throws some really nice does with great udders. So She came home with me.

And she didn't have a name either. I'd been looking at old Norse Viking names. Not a lot of pretty names. But Olga kept popping up. And she just looks like an Olga, doesn't she? Her and Freja hit it off great. No head butting at all. It started raining right after I got home, so they went into the shelter. I have a hay rack with fresh hay back there for them in the back yard.

Isn't she pretty? Just 2 years old, by the way. She'll be more than ready to breed in November. My friend Sarah, who got Sandy and Woody, said I can use Woody to breed them. He is John Henry's buck kid from last year. Really handsome buck. And the same color as these 2.









I went ahead and started getting her used to the stanchion. Just a little feed in hers. I have to pick her up to get her on the stanchion now. But pretty soon, she'll be jumping right up. Freja is finally jumping up by herself now!! She's heavy!





Olga saying hello. I love her already. This is just enough for me right now. Just 2. And I'll sell the kids soon after they're born. I just don't want to have as many as I've always had. 2 is a great number to have.




Freja is giving a little over a half gallon of milk a day now. Total, twice a day. Pretty good for a first freshener. And the milk is SO good! And her udder is amazing! Great teat size and good orifices, so the milk just flows right out with no problem. I love udders like hers. Now, I just hope Olga has a good udder.

5 comments:

An At Home Daughter said...

Olga looks a lot like my doe Dandelion except for her color. Olga is a prettier color. They have the same exact face. Dandelion is mostly LaMancha and just as hairy. I was just telling my Mom, I think Dandy needs to be shaved, she looks so scraggly now that she shed her winter coat.
Kimberly

Kris said...

I was wondering about shearing her with the sheep! And my dogs too. Oh my goodness, we sweep up so much hair from these dogs every day from all over the house. It's horrible.

I really like Olga. She's already trained to the stanchion now. And much friendlier than Freja.

Betty Ann said...

I love LaManchas! They are so sweet. K has just one Alpine in her herd and she is a sassy one and not nice to the other does. I have heard that Nubians are noisy. Happy for you !

Kris said...

Betty Ann, Olga's lineage is from Raven's Haven, where Kristin got her first buck. They are a really good line of milkers. I'm excited to see how she is next year when she has kids. I hope she has good udders.

Kris said...

Wow, it has been 1 year that I've had Olga. And she's great! I did go ahead and shave her. And she's had 2 kids 2 months ago, a buck and a doe. Both adorable and polled! The buck I used to breed both does was polled. But Freya's kids, both does, had horns.

And her udder is small and compact, with about 2" long teats. Very hard to start milking, but once I get going, easier. Really good milk too!